Navigation Advanced Common Sense home page Advanced Common Sense home page Consulting services
Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Steve Krug

Proprietor/Landlord
Reply with quote  #1 
For me, getting people to actually come and watch the usability tests in person is one of the highest priorities, because the "seeing is believing" effect is very strong. That's why one of my six maxims in RSME is "Make it a spectator sport."

And one of the best ways I know of to get people to show up at the test sessions is to have the best snacks.

I always tell people three things:

• If you have any money to spend on testing, spend it on snacks.

• Get the best quality snacks you can afford. Get the chocolate croissants. Get pizza (for the debriefing lunch) from the *good* pizza place.

• Get snacks that people won't get at other meetings in your organization.

If you do this, you'll develop a reputation for having great food, the word will get around, and people will come.

So, what snacks have you tried using? What works for you?

MikeHogan

Reply with quote  #2 
This is a great idea, though living in today's environment we have to be very careful to make sure our snacks don't have peanuts or other allergens. I suppose lactose intolerance is also a problem, but gourmet chocolates or gift certificates to coffee shops are quite popular. We've used Starbucks and Peet's gift certificates because they're easy to transfer and most anyone can find something they like. That probably doesn't get us a reputation for great snacks, though. :-)

Steve Krug

Proprietor/Landlord
Reply with quote  #3 
Good reminder about food allergies. I suppose it means you also provide an alternative (and equally attractive) snack, if necessary.

About the gift certificates, though: I think you're talking about things you can give your participants as an honorarium, which is a whole different--and equally interesting--topic.
MikeHogan

Reply with quote  #4 
Yes, you're right about the gift certificates being more of a payment replacement. I guess I was thinking more of the test participants rather than the site/application developers who might be there watching with us. For those guys it's a good idea to have some great snacks in the room while we're watching the tests. We haven't done that before, but I'll be giving it a try now.

We give gift certificates to the test takers and typically have chocolates or something outside the test area. But I agree that maybe food can be something of a draw for us as well. Thanks for the ideas.
AjiTechshu

Reply with quote  #5 
Are their online tools to do it on the website (without the audio), the complete mouse movements, in the line of cost effective way. Clicktale etc ... what are the tools you suggest?
Peluna

Reply with quote  #6 
Not generics. People like name brand snacks. Mini chocolate bars are very popular, we use an assortment. Also munchkins (doughnut holes). 
jrubin

Reply with quote  #7 
At our First Fridays program at the General Services Administration, we try and serve a good assortment:

Light Breakfast: Bananas, strawberries, croissants, mini-muffins, coffee, juice and water

Lunch: Potbelly's (sandwiches) - we always make 1/4 of the food veggie, and then get chicken and roastbeef with tons of toppings that people can choose. We have bags of chips - baked, BBQ and regular, diet and regular Cokes and cookies. Never had a complaint about the food - people love these sandwiches!

- Jonathan Rubin
Cliff

Reply with quote  #8 
And I still haven't gotten mine, Jonathan! What about us remote participants? :D
jrubin

Reply with quote  #9 
Cliff,
I'll fax you all our two-dimensional goodies next time :)

Jon
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.