Navigation Advanced Common Sense home page Advanced Common Sense home page Consulting services
Latest Topics

Poll Results

Have you read <em>Rocket Surgery</em>?
 Yes 20 90%
 No 2 9%
 View Voters
Total votes: 22   Please to vote.

Author   Comment  
Steve Krug

Proprietor/Landlord
Reply with quote  #1 

I'm just curious. Thanks.

judewebby

Reply with quote  #2 
I'm half way through, but there is no option for that. :-)
Steve Krug

Proprietor/Landlord
Reply with quote  #3 

Quote:
Originally Posted by judewebby
I'm half way through, but there is no option for that. :-)

Yes, indeed. [Sigh.]

I considered it, and several other options, but opted for the plainest vanilla. I think I'm going to have my friend Caroline Jarrett preview all future polls. (She's writing a book for Rosenfeld Media called Surveys That Work.)
AjiTechshu

Reply with quote  #4 
I have read "Don't make me think" few times and taught it to many and also recommended it to many. Will read all your books at any cost ... I am from India, We run a company http://www.Techshu.com , Usability is a rare commodity here, I have been suggesting your book, useit.com (Jakob's all books infact), usability.gov to all at all possible places.

Keep writing, looking forward for your blog.

Thanks,
Aji Issac

user246

Reply with quote  #5 
I read it and I use the described process at work.

Alan Beasley

Reply with quote  #6 

LOL - I do wonder about why you asked this question. It's a bit chicken and egg really, as most viewers probably probably got here via chapter 2 of that book.

It's a bit like your SatNav asking if you have every heard of a town, after you programmed it to go to that town...

I'd suggest that 74% of the statisatical anaysis you derive from the results will say that 24% of the people you didn't ask, agreed! :-)

But yes, I've read the book & loved it!

LazerWonder

Reply with quote  #7 
Read both books in less than 3 days. :)  Learned so much.

I will admit that I skipped some of the middle part, the one with the chart.

Being the sole UI developer on a team, sometimes, it's a bit lonely.  It's nice to know there's a group of UI and HCI people out there.

numbat

Reply with quote  #8 
Read it. 
Doing it. 
Love it. 

:-)

MichelTubro

Reply with quote  #9 
I haven't read that but now i will definitely read it by as soon as possible.
Celeste

Reply with quote  #10 
I voted no, but I will indeed read it!  (I've only known about it for an hour.)  I love the title.  I have inadvertently referred to "rocket surgery" several times.  Now I know I'm in good company.

I just picked up Don't Make Me Think.  I love it.  It accurately describes so much of what I have encountered over the years.  I appreciate the light hearted approach to so many of the conundrums of usable design.  The footnotes are as fun as the main text.  How did you find the actual Average User?  Have you actually met him?  (Or is it her?)  have you talked to him?  What did he say?  Could I meet him?  How?

I've been developing computer systems for 40 years - long before the internet was readily available.  I have found that testing early and often is key to building a usable system.  I try to have users involved in testing a system "on paper" before the first piece of code is written.  This has always been difficult because of the WISCY (Why isn't Sam coding yet?) syndrome, which is further exacerbated by today's ability for "anybody" to build a website in 10 minutes. 

In some ways, DMMT reminds me of Donald Norman's books on usability and design.

keep up the good work.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: